Everyone craves conversations, connections and community. Here we use this space to dialogue about things of interest to the people who show up. Conversation is an intuitive, organic way of creating community. In the café we ask each other to add two levels of depth to the process of conversation. First is the idea of intention, where we approach the conversation with an active purpose to create connection and share meaning. The second is the idea of reflexivity, where we think about what is occurring, how we are feeling, and what we are learning. We encourage participants to continue to reflect and share beyond this time and space. In the café we converse with the improvisational, experimental spirit of a “jam session” where we try things out, express ourselves, and riff off each other. A piece of music is made up of both sound and silence, so in this sense silence is a contribution.
Note: Conversation Café is a flexible format and designed to facilitate deep conversation and connection. Cafés can be open format or topic focused. The process is designed to be relatively unfaciltiated and should eventually take on a life of its own.
We have 3 rules:
- The law of mobility. If you are in a conversation that is no longer of value to you, feel free to leave and join another conversation
- Feel free to be a fly on the wall for some conversations.
- Groups should be no larger than 5 or 6 people.
Take 5 minutes to answer the thought stimulating questions below.
You can leave any questions that you cannot, or do not feel like answering.
It is okay if you just want to listen to the conversations.
Write down your thoughts to question you feel like answering.
When the 5 minutes is up, we will discuss in small groups for about 30 – 40 minutes.
After discussing for about 30 minutes, we will switch and continue the conversations, for about 30-40 minutes.
Finally we will breakout into larger groups and have a larger group conversation.
Guiding questions or questions for reflection:
- What have I observed? (around me, in society, with friends, globally)
- What am I feeling?
- What is the need, if any?
- What do I already have that can meet that need?
- What am I not paying attention to?
Other Wicked Questions.
- What gnaws at you?
- What do you care about deeply?
- How do you bring out the paradox without creating a polarity?
- How do you live with it over time?
- How do i slay the dragon of my fear?
- How do i practice what i feel?
- If you were born with a question, what would it be?
- What is sacred to you?